Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Threads West by Reid Lance Rosenthal


I am so excited to tell you about this new series from Reid Lance Rosenthal.  The first book in a 6 part series, Threads West is set in 1855 and tells us about a group of people making their way from England to America.  We follow each of them from their origins, see how they all come together and meet and find out their plans for the New World and how they seem to coincide.



I love reading historical fiction and this book did not disappoint me in the least.  I realize that this book is set in 1855 so I wonder if the Civil War will come into play in later installments.  Either way, I am eagerly awaiting the next books in the series.



While I did enjoy this book, it seemed to not have much of a story and served more of an introduction to the characters and setting up some situations for later.  But then again, it was a smart move on Rosenthal’s part in order to keep us hanging on for more.  In my case, it definitely worked.



One very interesting aspect of this book was Reuben’s Jewish faith.  It seems he is taking pains to hide the fact that he is Jewish.  It is sad to know that Jews were not looked at in the same way as Christians.  As we know, this trend would just continue in history.



Also, I am very hopeful that the prissy Rebecca gets her comeuppance in a future book.  While I know she is focused on getting West, her attitude is something that I will glad to see taken down a few pegs once she sees just what the frontier is like.



Threads West is being compared to Larry McMurtry’s Lonesome Dove.  While I never read that, I know that McMurtry is well-regarded author.  I feel that if Rosenthal continues on the same path, he will be just as popular, if not more.



Threads West by Reid Lance Rosenthal is available in paperback and e-book format.  Read more here about the characters, of which I only mentioned a few.



I was sent this book in order to provide a review.  This did not influence my opinion in any way.  All thoughts are 100% my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment